We all make mistakes. Sometimes even inexplicable ones. However, when you have a social media team, the ability to review, and only 140 characters, it seems inexcusable… especially when you”re a big brand. However, that didn”t stop these companies from Tweeting fails that will go down as the worst of 2014. By far. #4 will never be forgotten.
1. That time Donald Trump got tricked into retweeting a photo of serial killers, Fred and Rosemary West.
2. That time Delta thought there were giraffes in Ghana. (Full disclosure: I kinda did too…)
3. That time a porn site completely missed Martin Luther King”s entire purpose.
4. That time US Airways made every single other failed Tweet look like a bus full of innocent schoolchildren in comparison.
5. That time this girl proved true love knows no bounds.
6. That time The Academy couldn”t tell the difference between Salma Hayek and Penelope Cruz (and ViralNova couldn”t tell the difference between Twitter and Instagram).
7. That time JCPenney inexplicably acted drunk during the Super Bowl.
8. That time the New England Patriots” automatic Thank You tweets horribly backfired.
9. That time Richard Dawkins tried to rank rape types.
10. That time Karl McCartney, a member of Parliament, favorited a bondage post.
11. That time Naomi Campbell congratulated malaria instead of Malala Yousafzai.
12. That time Dave & Buster”s creativity offended all of Mexico.
13. That time Paramount Pictures had the worst timing in the history of movie promotions.
14. That time San Antonio Spurs player, Danny Green, probably should”ve just stayed off of social media.
15. And this time.
Fortunately, the world is mostly forgiving and none of these brands suffered permanent damage. But they”ll likely be double checking those 140 characters from here on out before hitting Tweet. Although I kinda hope not… the Internet might get really boring if we”re all careful.
When Closed Captioning Goes Very, Very Wrong
These Epic Translation Fails Are Absolutely Hysterical
These 17 People Tried A Pinterest Project… And Hysterically Screwed Up
Architecture and Construction Fails That”ll Make You Say WTF